Installing Franken+ on Windows 8
Franken+ is a pretty simple install on its own but it does have some prerequisite software that, for me at least, posed some challenges.
The main sticking point in installing Franken+ is installing the prerequisite software and setting up Franken+ to use the database. Please read below for more detailed information on those processes.
As laid out on the Franken+ page, Franken+ requires that .NET Framework 4.5 and MySQL be already installed.
.NET framework comes pre-installed on Windows 8, but can be downloaded and installed on earlier versions of Windows by going here: .NET Framework 4.5
MySQL Community Server 5.6 was used in the development of Franken+ and is an excellent free MySQL choice for Windows. The best way to install MySQL Community Server 5.6 is via the GUI-based installer which will also install other MySQL tools like MySQL Notifier, MySQL Workbench, ODBC drivers, and more. You can download the installer here: MySQL Installer.
Using MySQL Installer
- Download the installer's .msi file from: MySQL Installer
- Select "Developer Default" install.
- On my computer the Installer indicated that I had to install Visual Studio in order to get some of the functionality to work, but the Installer took care of that for me
- Proceed through the steps accepting licenses and default settings, etc. The Installer will download and install all tools used in the Developer Default installation.
- As of the last time I attempted to use the MySQL Installer, it failed to download and install the required ODBC Connector tool.
- After all other components were downloaded I chose to continue with installation despite the failure to download ODBC Connector
- However, before continuing with the configuration, I downloaded and installed the ODBC Connector separately using the .msi ODBC Connector Installer.
- After the ODBC Connector was successfully installed, I returned to the MySQL Installer and continued with the configuration without incident.
- Remember your root user password. You'll need that later after you've installed Franken+
- Download the Latest Franken+ Release.
- Unzip the file and run the setup.exe file.
- Install Franken+ to you Program Files folder. On my computer I put the Franken+ folder in C:/Program Files (x86)/IDHMC/.
- Add a shortcut to the Franken+.exe file in your new Program Files folder to your desktop (if you want).
- Run the Franken+.exe file.
- Click on Menu -> Settings, and choose the Database tab.
- Put in the information from your MySQL configuration.
- Host: localhost
- Port: 3306
- Database: frankenplus (or whatever you want to call it)
- User: root
- Password: your root password
- Click the Test Connection button.
- Click the Reset Database button.
- Click Save
Franken+ is now installed and setup to use a MySQL DB called frankenplus on the backend.